Thursday, September 15, 2011

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I walk alone, empty buildings, no one around. A violin smashed to bits, a rusty tractor smashed into the side of an old abandoned barn.  I walk alone, along empty streets, past buildings filled with skeletons and cobwebs - things that were never told, smashed cell phones, crumpled apologies, burnt pictures and ropes. 
 I see him.  Leaning against a building with shattered windows, I can feel him drawing me toward him but I do not have the courage to face him.  I keep pushing my feet to drive me forward, but it is as if they refuse to move. 
I walk alone
On streets covered in filth, where each of my mistakes have left their own hideous marks on the pavement.  I walk alone, past empty picture frames hanging on dilapidated walls with peeling paint and wallpaper. 

Red. My favorite color heinously laid out on the road as if it were blood. 

I Walk Alone.  Seeing nothing, feeling nothing.  The numbness has taken over my senses, to the point where all I can do is keep walking forward surveying the destruction around me, hoping for something to happen soon.  Anything would be better than this stony silence - I walk alone, past black roses, coffins, and gravestones.  An empty cemetary filled with the ghosts of my past, cold air and a mist so thick you could cut it with a knife.  Only growing more foreboding by the seconds ticking by on a bomb clock in the back of my mind.  The skeletons are walking toward me, growing, preparing to suck away what little sanity I cling to.

3 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written. I especially love the favorite color part. :)
    It has a solemnity, it sounds deep and foreboding. The pictures really add to it too, but the writing is so good it could stand alone. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I keep pushing my feet to drive me forward, but it is as if they refuse to move." I love how you have phrases and sentences hidden. Wicked creative and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures you put into this and the description. very well done.

    ReplyDelete